Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Wreath of the Night Owls

My Grandpa *Poppy* and Great-Aunt Betty are here for vacation. And last night.... Or this morning, whichever way you look at it, we stayed up until 2am playing Password. Poppy basically won all of the games... And they only let me be on his team once. :( But that was okay because it was the last one. :)

I always like to "finish strong", keep churning until you get to your goal. Well, we were down by a lot of points, and we came back and scored 6 times in 8 rounds. And that made me think of something.

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win." ~1 Cor. 9:24

Now, the moral.

What is a win? Well, when I play my hardest at Frisbee (or anything else) and forget the people around me and I win, have I gained?

I don't think so... A win for me is that I played the game and watched out for others, didn't hurt anyone, didn't curse God in my heart (I know I've been like that before... When I think of all the bad reasons I can when something doesn't go my way or I lose by a large amount), and got the Frisbee to the little people (that's the name I came up with for the people that don't really get the Frisbee, the ones that no one looks to when you need points, I'll save this topic for another post :).

"Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable." ~1 Cor. 9:25

Are you playing to win the perishable wreath that is forgotten after a time? Are you just playing to win another game?

Or are you trying to win the imperishable wreath that lasts forever? The wreath that reminds you that you helped someone. the wreath that tells you that you didn't give up doing what is right, that you gave the "little people" the Frisbee, that you let God take control (we can't do it by ourselves, it's too big a task to go alone).

I hope you're going for the imperishable wreath, not only in sports, but everyday in your home, in your work, in everything that you do.

Frisbeeman Jay

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post, Justus! Keep blogging!!

    Mrs. S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, well said. :-)

    Sure wish you were up here! Or we were down in GA! Miss all of you guys and gals!

    Mrs. Havens
    PS: We'll get Bryan and Nathan some way to comment here...maybe a blog??? We left Facebook...not a fruitful place for our group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! This is difficult to keep in perspective sometimes. Seeing all things from God's viewpoint is something that I should seek to do constantly, but it can sure be a challenge especially when playing sports. The purpose why we do anything should be to advance the kingdom of God and edify one another in Christ. Some verses I have found to be encouraging are Heb. 10:24, 1 Corinthians 10:31, Romans 14:19, Psalm 115:1.

    Dan Romanowitz

    ReplyDelete