Monday, May 23, 2011

May Frisbee Tip

So, Frisbee is now in full swing and I haven't posted any tips this year.  :(  Sorry about that, but I've been busy and haven't really thought about it much....  Until now...
=D

Tip - Experience is very helpful (I know, it's nice of me to say so...  right?) in getting the most out of your game.  Be committed to learning while you're playing.*
OK...  This one needs an explanation.  =)  I've played 115 games in the past 5 years (I didn't keep track before then), and I've played Ultimate for about 8 years!  Thus I can be considered very *experienced* by some people.  And In all my experience, I've learned this - that experience goes for nothing unless it is helped along by knowledge and a desire to learn.

I can play a million games and still be a mediocre player.  Or I could play only a few games, gain some basic knowledge of the game, learn how to respond when different situations arise, and be a phenomenal player!
Some people enjoy getting out there and just playing with friends...  I'm not one of those guys.  While I do value friendship and being with my friends more than I like to play Frisbee (Really!  No joke.  Frisbee is just one of the many tools available to me.), I can't just simply play a game for that reason.  I have to be analyzing the field, cutting to where I know I can get the Frisbee, and trying to learn new ways of playing optimally.

Therefore - *Be committed to learning while you're playing...  It's really not hard to think through things while you're running around on the field.
(one basic way to start is this: when the other team scores a point, ask yourself this question while you're walking back to your end-zone - "How did they manage to score around my team?"  That should lead to a few more questions that are answered in your mind in less than a heartbeat - "Who was guarding X when they caught it?" - "Who was I guarding?" - "Are we as a team guarding specific people, or are we just doing a 'zone' defense?" - "Was the thrower giving signs of where they wanted to throw before they threw it?"...)
Ask yourself some of those ^ if you're committed to making experience count more for you than it does in the next guy.

There's only so much you can learn by simply doing something repetitively.

~Frisbeeman

P.S.  The pics are almost ready for me to post them...  *Suspense...*  =D

4 comments:

  1. Awesome tips. (waiting on pics) :)
    -Brit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post.

    So...How was YOUR Judgement Day?

    Hope you all had/are having fun with the S. and H. families!

    Andrew R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really need to come to our Frisbee! You would have a lot of fun! We have been having some amazing games. ;)

    Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a lot of fun in the "Sunburn State". ;) And btw, my cousin graduated on Judgment day and I slept the last hours away... All without concern. =D I wasn't even keeping up with all that news and stuff... There's just too much to do in the meantime.

    ~Jay

    ReplyDelete