Friday, January 20, 2012

Do you have a protege? (Frisbee Tip, plus more)

So this is a Frisbee Blog, but I've been learning a lot of things by working at CFA recently.  Leadership stuff...  Some of it not said, but implied, some of it clear as anything I've ever been told...  But all of it something you have to learn.

One thing that leaders do is train, or "develop" people.  Simply said, leaders have a lot of proteges.  And that goes for everything we do.

First,  let me define 'Protege'

"Protege: a person under the patronage, protection, or care of someone interested in his or her career or welfare." ~ Dictionary.com
 
So, in Frisbee....  (Frisbee tip here) the guys who know the most about the game aren't really doing any good with it if they don't teach someone else what they know.  And that goes for anyone!  Suppose you've played a few times, and then you come to Friday Frisbee and there's someone new who doesn't have a clue about the game....  YOU CAN HELP THEM!  I've helped many guys see a different aspect of the game (I'm not the best with beginners, but I'm good at helping the intermediate guys), and those guys use what I've taught them.  The people you help will use what you teach them, so be wise in what you say!  And don't load them down with too much information.
 
This is one big plus about knowing your own capabilities - you know what you're good at and what you can teach others.  See, it wouldn't be good for me to teach a college football player how to throw the football better.  But I can, and do, help others play Frisbee better.
 
One thing that you can do to get better (Frisbee or not), is to come up with a list of stuff you don't know (eg.  1. how to throw a hammer. 2. how to play zone on defense...  etc.), and then set out on a journey to ask others, who know how to do that stuff, if they can teach you (or by careful observation, you can teach yourself).
 
IknowIknowIknow.....  I'm not posting a lot on here, and I'm about to plunge into the busiest time of my life (commonly known as college), but if you check here every-now-and-then, I'll make sure to post every-once-in-a-while.  :)
 
Frisbeeman
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Justus!

    It really has been a long time since you posted... But since you know that, enough said... :D

    This post has a really great point. I like how you related your experience with learning and teaching at CFA to Frisbee. :)

    Guess what? I got my driver's license.
    *insert excited whoop*

    What this means: You'll be seeing more of the boys and I this Frisbee season. :)
    Maybe once in a great while we can crash at you guys' house and drive home in the morning instead of driving home late at night? That would make my dad happier with the idea of letting us come by ourselves. :D

    We're going to three homeschool conventions this year (two others besides GHEA) so we're really busy around here making jewelry and duct tape weapons. But I'm sure we'll be able to carve out some time to play Frisbee once the season starts.

    Good luck with College!! :) Let your blog readers know how it goes, ok? :)

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. SURE! You guys are welcome to spend the night anytime! Driving home (an hour, in the dark, on a country road) after an intense game of Frisbee isn't always the best idea.

    But that's awesome that we'll be seeing you guys at Frisbee more often! I missed the guys the last couple seasons and enjoyed the times you guys came! The more the merrier! :D

    I guess we all find something to keep busy at. CFA for me, jewelry for you, weapons for the guys.... :)

    I'll try to keep you guys posted on college stuff. :)

    ~Frisbeeman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds absolutely great. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete